The above is just another practice piece I painted the other day. I’m starting to get the idea of how I can add depth to the petals by doing some wet-on-dry lines to suggest a curve. I saw another nice technique today, too, where the artist used a pen to draw outlines onto her dried watercolour flowers. I have a piece I’d like to try that on.
Just out of curiosity, I decided to use this piece to see what difference scanning versus photographing the piece makes. I had noticed that some of the pieces I’d scanned in recent weeks seemed a bit washed out once I’d posted them here. The image in the header is a photograph. The one below is a scan of the same painting, without any adjustments having been made in Photoshop.
Okay. So, I put an adjustment layer over the piece and turned the contrast down to -40, and here’s the result.
Out of the three images on this page, I think the one in the header is truest to the original. Even though I took that photo in daylight, I think I probably should have turned the light on in the room, which would have lifted it just a bit. I might do that yet, perhaps on the weekend, and see what result I get. When I do it, I’ll post the result here.